Chania's Urban Mobility Platform
As part of the project, the Municipality of Chania has put into operation an Integrated Information and Light Signaling System which improves traffic management, reduces vehicle queues and chronic routes and will help reduce environmental pollutants from traffic. vehicles in its area of installation.
The above has been achieved through the supply and installation of a “smart” traffic management system on one of the most important highways in the city of Chania. The integrated system combines both traffic management through Traffic Lighting and traffic management through informing citizens about traffic conditions, so as to avoid queues at peak times and reduce pollution in the area of application.
The system is applied to five (5) consecutive traffic light nodes of high traffic demand on the same road, dynamically adapted to traffic to improve traffic flow and environmental pollutants. The system immediately recognizes which route has increased demand and increases the corresponding green times (reducing the green times of the remaining phases), so that this demand is met with the least possible delays.
In addition to the process of optimizing the operation control of traffic light programs (traffic control) the system is an extension of the capabilities of a traffic control center which provides information to drivers about the current traffic situation (traffic information) and alternatives to avoid delays (traffic re-routing).
In addition to the above, it intends to consider the possibility of systematically receiving traffic-related environmental pollution (CO2) data (density, quantity, average speed, etc.) in order to take them into account in future operational scenarios for the management of the urban road network.
With the implementation of the project, the Municipality of Chania achieves:
- traffic control through traffic lights, improving the operation of individual nodes or interconnected nodes in tuned artery operation.
- the use of electronic variable message signs (Variable Message Signs – VMS) for information and guidance of drivers.
- the information of citizens / guides at all stages of the trip (pre-trip / on-trip) and through various means (web site, or mobile apps).
- the collection of the necessary traffic and other data for the selection of a real-time traffic light strategy.
- improving the quality of traffic while reducing the impact on the environment.
- the creation of road management strategies with different methods.
The implementation of the project contributes to the improvement of the environmental conditions with benefits to the citizens of the city of Chania but also to the bodies regarding the management of the networks. The results of the operation are used as guidelines for traffic impact assessment lines in urban pollution during the future preparation of Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SBAK). A specific framework will be created for the elaboration of SVAK, the tool of which will be considered the specific project for the city of Chania. The installed systems are fully scalable for additional functionalities but also for geographical expansion.
The project includes the following applications:
- Smart city central platform
- “Smart city” data portal for citizens
The project includes the following equipment:
- Traffic detection and measurement equipment
- Environmental Station
- Electronic Variable Message Signs (VMS)
See more Smart Cities