The aim of the project is the supply and installation of an integrated platform for the management system of telematics information equipment and passenger information services for the movements in a single control center, which consists of equipment and applications. The equipment procured by the Municipality includes the telematics equipment and the Electric Bus equipment (for driver) in order to support the integrated passenger information system as well as the variable message plates for informing the passengers about the arrival times of the vehicles at central stops.
The system is an innovative intervention in the current situation and its implementation is expected to bring immediate, positive results in the daily operation of transport, as:
- At “crowded places”, “smart stops” were set up, informing the public about the actual arrival time of the next bus.
- Multiple and innovative citizen information centers are being created for urban transport.
- The content of the information to the citizens is being upgraded. The material published on the internet, includes timetables, itineraries and stops on digital maps.
- Timely and direct ways of informing the citizens are created, the users are informed about the means of public transport that they have to use, in order to move from one part of the city to another.\
The implementation of the above has a clear positive impact on the operational operation of all individual parts of the urban transport system of public transport. The fleet management application specifically provides a powerful tool for immediate troubleshooting, itinerary planning, transport execution and timely crisis management. Modernization is also the main goal, as it is a one-way street for the optimal use of available resources, the automation of processes, the rational planning of future business moves and the management of customer relationships. In addition, and more importantly, the collection and analysis of transport data (route execution data) will allow the Municipality to long-term optimization of strategic transport planning and the easy implementation of short-term corrective actions.
More specifically, the project includes:
- Supply of telematics equipment (OBU) inside the bus. Vehicle telematics equipment with a driver screen has been installed in the vehicle through which (a) the bus position on the road network will be constantly monitored via GPS, (b) the driver will be identified at the start of the shift or when changing vehicles, (c) will be provided information to the driver about the route being performed,
- Procurement of central bus fleet management software. The platform is maintained in a Data Center and consists of the development and installation of appropriate software that make it possible to inform citizens through the available communication channels. Specifically, the development of the central platform will include the following activities:
- Collection, storage and processing of “real” or “semi-real” time data from bus vehicle telematics devices
- Development of an information dissemination platform according to the requirements of the available communication channels with the public.
- The supervision of the operation of the transport.
- The supervision of the telematics equipment that will be installed within the present, e.g. information signs at stops, vehicle telematics devices, etc. In addition, it is possible to manage it by entering messages to display.
- The homogenization and storage of all collected data in a unique format, which is based on international standards. The homogenization of the data is achieved through automatic filtration and validation procedures of the entered data, thus ensuring the quality of the data that are finally stored in the system. In addition, the application allows the modification of a data set (cancellation, correction, completion) and its final acceptance by the operator.
- Procurement of Electronic Public Information Signs at bus stops. They are connected via GPRS to the Control Center and provide information to the citizens regarding the arrival time of the buses at the stops in real time and other messages that the Municipality wants to display through the Control Center.
The project includes the following applications:
- Vehicle Fleet Management and Passenger Information Application
- Mobile passenger information app
The project includes the following equipment:
- Telematics equipment (OBU) inside bus vehicles
- In-vehicle Information screens
- Electronic smart stop signs
See more Smart Cities